Tietoja minusta

Oma kuva
Enjoy this moment, share quilttales with me

lauantai 1. helmikuuta 2014

CWD: Nurse

I had few weeks time to think about how to sew the next Civil War Diary quilt block.
I ended up with two options:

 a foundation piecing... or I'll try to cut the pieces of star points with the Tri - Recs Tools.

I took a calculated risk...

... and I cut the star point units with the Tri - Recs. 
The outer star points are clearly 2 1/2" wide... but the inner star points are about 1 3/16" or 3 cm wide. So I can not guarantee you a certain dimensions.

Before I started...

 I was mentally very well prepared to sew this block more than one time today;o)

After few resewn seams... and few trimmings...
Furthermore the tiny pieces were hard to handle, because my fingers are rough due the cold weather. Funny, do I need a nurse;o)

I had this 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" star! Is this working?... 
Ok! I think there is much more wonky patches in this quilt, when all the blocks are done. 
So keep on sewing, Satu!

The rest of the stitches were easy...
and only in two hour I had the whole...

block #98. Nurse
completed.
I like it! The star in the middle doesn't bother me at all... actually it looks quite nice, because it's a bit wonky;o). Also I do not regret that I chose more fabrics for the block than there is in the book. And this time it happened that the block looks more beautiful in the photo than in the nature!

In February, 1863. Susie King Taylor wrote in her diary: Several cases of varioloid broke out among the boys, which caused some anxiety in camp. Edward Davis, of Company E had it very badly. He was put into a tent apart from the rest of the men, and only the doctor and camp steward were allowed to see or attend him; but I went to see this man every day and nursed him. (quote from Civil War Diary Quilt written by Rosemary Youngs)

Nurse block was my last CWD block with the date in February... so we'll see the next time in March... and it'll be a really easy - block #100 Regiment Landed!

But I'll tell you many another stories before that;o)
See you!!!

4 kommenttia:

Elin kirjoitti...

Very nice block, thank you!

Grit kirjoitti...

This block looks fantastic.

Hannele kirjoitti...

Upea blokki - taitaisi olla vaikeuksia hallita noita keskustan pieniä palasia sileinkään sormin...

Dee kirjoitti...

I don't think the star in the center looks wonky at all. Very pretty block.